7 replies to this topic

#1 jtessier3

jtessier3

Part Time Superhero!

• Full on Outcast
  • PipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 07:20 AM

Week 11: Who would have thought that the challenges would continue on this long? Well, they are continuing and will continue as long as there is participation!

This week's challenge is a female in a dynamic pose. Draw her in any environment and costume you feel is appropriate.

You have one week. Close out of this challenge is July 11, 2011 @ 12 PST

On a side note; I have been remiss in listing the contributors for the reference images, and this image is by the talented photographer Mark J Ranum, under the Deviantart.com name mjranum-stock. If you have a dA account and decide to post your work, then reference the original photo and this site's figure challenge. As an extra feature, please contact the originator about the piece. Each of the contibutors that I've used photos from have asked as much.

Without further ado, here's the reference image!

Attached Images

• Week 11.jpg

The Neverending Battle Continues... Be Heroes!

#2 Dudesoft

Dudesoft

Outcast in training

• Full on Outcast
  • Pip
  • 92 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 10:09 PM

Kind of messed this one up. I think I'll start over another day.
Posted Image
Torso is too short, and she isn't lunging enough. She's like falling off a balcony or something.

Edited by Dudesoft, 05 July 2011 - 10:10 PM.

POWERUP!

#3 jtessier3

jtessier3

Part Time Superhero!

• Full on Outcast
  • PipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 07:08 PM

Dude, it really doesn't matter... you have created a piece of work that is based on the reference. For that you got your point. It is very similar to the reference and it does work. It's clean lines and for many artists, that's a hard thing to do.

Critiquing yourself is one thing, if it's something like "I really messed up the anatomy, poses, etc... really badly." Here, I see nothing but a very simplified version of the reference. I really can't pin it down, but it has the feel of an animation cel sheet. I'm a big animation fan, and can see this style being used as such.

But, since you feel it's not that good... why not spice it up with another try? I want to see what you have to offer!

Jim
The Neverending Battle Continues... Be Heroes!

#4 Dudesoft

Dudesoft

Outcast in training

• Full on Outcast
  • Pip
  • 92 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 01:40 PM

Posted Image

I know my over-self-criticism is a bad habit I'm trying to quit. However, in the same vein as what I was saying, what I ended up drawing wasn't what I intended to; so it was wrong, even if it works as something else.
My background was always animation/cartooning before Comics, so coming into Comics, I'm a bit picky about my screw ups! The main issue is going too far into a drawing without stepping back to take a critical look at the framework. In this one it actually took a few tries until I noticed what I was doing wrong (what I just said), so I'll try stepping back more often. Once the pencil is flying, it's hard to stop...

Anyway, no point for this! I'm going to flesh her out and resubmit. Just posting progress, I guess.

Posted Image
FIXED

Edited by Dudesoft, 08 July 2011 - 12:52 AM.

POWERUP!

#5 seb_pinter

seb_pinter

Freelance Peace-keeping Artist

• Full on Outcast
  • PipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 02:17 AM

Posted Image

CBR King Loser 2011!

sebpinter on deviant art

#6 rorschach-mentality

rorschach-mentality

Got my Outcast "Wings"

• Full on Outcast
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 06:50 AM

my first ever figure challenge!
had fun, found the pose very hard to work with, especially trying to digitally ink the shadows (this is like my fifth time doing digital)
not happy with it but sure hopefully I'll get better
invisible woman gesture drawing.jpg
Check out my new Blog! http://scottynewton.blogspot.com/
Rorschach on Deviantart http://rorschach-men...deviantart.com/

#7 Dudesoft

Dudesoft

Outcast in training

• Full on Outcast
  • Pip
  • 92 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 02:31 PM

Nice challenge cross-over, Rors
POWERUP!

#8 rorschach-mentality

rorschach-mentality

Got my Outcast "Wings"

• Full on Outcast
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 12:13 AM

it didn't even enter my head that Jessica Alba was the DSC lol
i'd already done a dsc sketch, then I needed a super hero for this and I just googled a list and picked the invisible woman at random!
haha coincidence =D
Check out my new Blog! http://scottynewton.blogspot.com/
Rorschach on Deviantart http://rorschach-men...deviantart.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users